The first Legal Observer training is coming up on Monday, January 20, 2020.
If you are our neighbor and want to support us meaningfully but haven’t been sure how, this is your chance!
WHAT ARE LEGAL OBSERVERS?
A Legal Observer witnesses and monitors the actions of law enforcement agencies and security forces and collects information for the purposes of legal defence. You do not require any legal background at all and, ideally, are actually not a practicing lawyer.
- Do not participate in protest or risk arrest.
- Do not provide legal advice.
- Do not speak to media.
- Do not interfere with police activity.
- Remain “neutral” while observing.
You must commit to:
- Affirming the jurisdiction, leadership, and legal order of the Wet’suwet’en.
- Being available approximately 8-10 hours per week. Legal observers will be observing at a number of possible sites within the territories.
- Completing a training session, currently scheduled for either Monday January 20th or the evening of Thursday January 23rd in Smithers (other workshops are also being scheduled at other locations, over the coming weeks).
- Working collaboratively with your Legal Observer partner on shift, and Legal Observer Team as a whole.
- Safeguarding and keeping confidential any information you collect.
- Being as self-sufficient as possible on the land and terrain, including transport to and from your shift. We are primarily recruiting from surrounding areas, including Smithers, Houston etc, so as to ensure consistency and long-term presence.
- Barring emergencies, being punctual and responsible, with the understanding that the team and our community is relying on you.
We require a team of 50-60 legal observers. Your time and ethical commitment are the most useful assets; all supplies and a comprehensive training will be provided by experienced movement lawyers and/or legal support organizers. Details about legal observer training will be sent to you after you fully complete the form and are approved by Wet’suwet’en spokespeople.
For any questions, contact:
Irina Ceric: email@example.com
Noah Ross: firstname.lastname@example.org
Harsha Walia: email@example.com